Dave’s Story

David Andrew Maddan

David Andrew Maddan was born on December 7, 1979 in Jackson, Mississippi to Jack and Anna Maddan.  He was the youngest of four children (Jack, III, Bryan, and Kathleen Maddan-Blackmore).  When David was four years old, his family moved to Naperville, Illinois, a suburb of Chicago.  At age nine, the family moved to Rohnert Park, California.

In June 1998 Dave graduated from Rancho Cotate High School in Rohnert Park where he was an honor student, captain of the swim team and an All-American Swimmer.  He earned the nickname of “Pooh”, short for Winnie-the-Pooh Bear, when he started swimming competitively.  David was also selected to serve as the Athlete Representative on Pacific Swimming’s Board of Directors.

Pooh graduated from the University of California at Santa Barbara in 2003.  He was a member of the Gauchos swim team for four years, serving as captain for two of those years.  While at UCSB, he served on the Student Athletic Advisory Committee for four years and worked as a Media Relations Intern for the UC Santa Barbara Athletic Department.

After graduating, David became a successful salesman.  His last position was at the headquarters of FINIS, Inc., the swimming technology company.  Dave, also, enjoyed being a swim coach, and his last coaching position was with the Crow Canyon Sea Lions.

Fortunately for him, in 2005 he met the love of his life, Tessa Colich.  At that time, David was a healthy, athletic young man with a promising life ahead of him.

Dave’s Medical History

In August of 2005 Pooh was diagnosed with osteosarcoma (cancer of the bone which usually occurs in children). He began chemotherapy in October. In December he had surgery to remove the malignant portion of his right leg, which was replaced by a prosthetic device, and had his right knee cap replaced. After two more clean-up surgeries on his leg, David began chemotherapy again.

In July of 2006 he had surgery on both lungs, but at that time, there was no evidence of osteosarcoma having metastasized in the lungs. Dave continued with chemotherapy through November, and then he began the journey of learning to walk again.

In September of 2007 David had surgery on his left lung for metastasized osteosarcoma, and in November he had surgery on the right lung, with two-thirds of that lung being removed. In May Dave was scheduled to begin a clinical trial for targeted delivery of cancer treatment into some small spots in his lungs, when it was discovered that he had developed a blood condition. In July he was diagnosed with leukemia induced by the chemotherapy treatment.

Pooh was then hospitalized for one month to receive more chemotherapy, this time to put the leukemia into temporary remission in preparation for a bone marrow transplant, the only hope for permanent remission. In September he had the cyberknife, a non-invasive, precise targeted delivery radiation treatment, to eradicate the spots in his lungs.

The following week Dave began outpatient maintenance chemotherapy. It was after this treatment, when his platelets were low, that it appears a blood vessel burst in his chest. While the medical team attempted to stop the hemorrhaging, David was deprived of oxygen for an extended period of time, and consequently, lost the battle for his life on October 25, 2008. In the end, it was a complication from all the chemotherapy treatments that resulted in Dave’s passing.

Celebrate the new season at A Fall Fête

Enjoy cocktails in the garden, a silent auction, sparkling entertainment from ETC, an elegant dinner, and stunning sunset views from a historic Peninsula home overlooking the ocean.

You Can Support DAM-CANCER Foundation